Thursday, September 22, 2011

Girlfriend Reunion 2011


The past weekend was our annual girlfriend weekend. This group of friends have known each other since high school and in some cases junior high. 45 years later we still get together whenever possible. I feel very lucky to be a part of a group with such a long history. We have grown up together, supporting and encouraging each other through marriages, raising children, illness, and loss. We have shared the best and worst life has to offer.

This year we met at my home with four friends flying in from three different cities. One of our group of six was unable to make it, so we were a comfortable group of five. Everyone arrived tired and stressed and the reunion was just what the doctor ordered.

I don't know what I would do without my girlfriends. We provide each other with advice, therapy, entertainment, companionship, laughter, laughter, and more laughter, which is the best therapy of all. Last year one friend was still in mourning for her recently deceased husband and two others were working out their differences, so it was a time for support and understanding. This year we were all in rare form and ready for some fun. We left our worries on the doorstep and focused on enjoying being together.

Today the house is quiet, the beach towels are washed and put away, but I smile as I relive the events of the past few days. What a joy these friends are, and how lucky I am to have them in my life after all these years. Friendships and relationships of all kinds require a little effort, but the rewards far outweigh the effort. Make your life richer by nourishing your relationships and keeping them strong. You never know when you may need them.

No comments:

Post a Comment