Friday, December 30, 2011

Time for Reflection


Another year is coming to a close and it is a good time to look back and consider the past 12 months. What experiences left an impact, what have we learned from them, and how will they help us move forward to 2012.

2011 was a pretty good year for me. There were no crisis or tragedies, but some realizations of who I am at this stage of life. As a baby boomer, I grew up with this large group of people who, during our youth, ushered in new ideas and cutting edge technological advances that have radically changed the world. Now we find ourselves getting frustrated when we can’t program our DVR’s or figure out how to use our new smart phones. Time marches on even when we are to busy to realize it, and suddenly it is time to move over and let the next generation have their time. I do believe I am okay with that.

Hopefully the years of living have instilled enough wisdom to guide us into the next phase of our lives realizing what is important and what is not. I now happily accept that I would rather stay home on New Years Eve beside the fireplace with a good book or movie. Dressing up and going out has lost its appeal. Let the young people do that.

During the past year I came to the conclusion that instead of desperately trying to hold on to youth, I should embrace my age, and make good use of the wisdom gained from a lifetime of experience. I plan to find joy in what really matters to me. Spending time with family and friends, being free to travel with my husband, and the simple pleasures of everyday life.

I have also come to realize that it doesn’t matter if I have wrinkles on my face and age spots on my hands. It is normal for my age and nothing to be ashamed of. It doesn’t matter if there are designer labels on my clothes or if I have an expensive car. What matters is that I am healthy, happy, and hopefully helpful to the people in my life.

What a relief it is taking the pressure off of myself to try to be someone I’m not. Who I am is not so bad. I am a woman with a lot to give and a lot of living to do. I am looking forward to becoming a grandmother when the time comes and living a life appropriate to my age. In 2011, I learned to be okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment