Saturday, November 17, 2012

Family Reunion 2012



August brings my family reunion, and this year we met in the High Sierras to camp near the shores of the gorgeous alpine Lake Tahoe. I am always excited to revisit the Sierras where I spent many childhood summers, but tent camping is becoming less and less desirable.

 I used to love sleeping outside in the mountain air listening to the forest sounds, but now, the sound of flush toilets, and heat or air conditioning, are more attractive. However, my husband and I were good sports and joined most of the family at the campsite and slept in a tent. Thankfully there were hot showers and toilets nearby so it was doable. I still love the romance of sleeping outside, but these days we are up several times a night and climbing up off the ground in the freezing cold is not so romantic. I am voting for a lodge next year.

The lake was stunning as usual and hiking and biking in the mountain air was refreshing and restorative. Getting together with my family always results in a lot of laughter and story telling around the campfire, and I wouldn’t miss it for anything.


As the years pass our family is getting smaller making it more important to stay connected to the ones who remain. My family includes friends who are not related, but who have been connected to us for most of our lives and they are as loved as the blood relatives. I am grateful for the love, support, laughter and joy they bring into my life. 


Once the camping trip was behind us, it was time to prepare of one of my favorite events of the year. The Girlfriend Reunion 2012 will be remembered in my next post.


No comments:

Post a Comment