Monday, October 3, 2011

Goodbye Summer



I greeted Autumn this morning on my walk through the neighborhood. Blue skies decorated with puffy white and gray clouds, a crispness in the air and even a sprinkle of rain awakened my senses. Our summer was abbreviated this year as the coolness of spring hung on through July, and I did not think I was ready for summer to be over when it had just begun, or so it seemed. I had not noticed the trees changing color before this morning but the yellow, red, and orange against the blue sky turned my thoughts to the coming season.

Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and our annual Autumn vacation are fast approaching. Yes summer is over but there is much to look forward to. Each season has its beauty and fall always turns my thoughts to hearth and home. Baking, sitting by the fireplace with a good book, the crunch of crackly leaves underfoot and planning for the upcoming holidays will all be on my mind once I return from this years vacation.

Summer for this year is history, but with all the pleasures of Autumn to look forward to, I no longer care. My husband and I are off to Italy in celebration of his 60th birthday. We will be spending a few weeks casually exploring villages, wineries, castles and the countryside. I plan to post on this blog from different locations so if you want to follow along check back here once a week or so. Meanwhile enjoy the pleasures of Autumn in your area and summer will be back before we know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment