Wednesday, August 28, 2013

FAMILY REUNION 2013


We just returned home from a fun weekend in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada to reconnect with family. Our family consists of lifelong friends as well as my siblings and our spouses. Our base was at a home outside of Grass Valley, CA, which we choose for its proximity to rivers and lakes. As usual we shared great food, summer fun, and easy companionship. Food is ever present, as we have a grill master as well as a chef to cook it up.


Day 1 was arrival, and my husband and I stopped to explore the quaint and picturesque town of Grass Valley before heading to our base outside of town. My husband discovered an amazing ice-cream shop (if there is good ice-cream in the vicinity, he will find it) that we would return to a few times during the weekend. 

Day 2 was the Nevada County Fair where my adopted sister entered a handmade quilt in the quilters competition. She herded us all to the exhibition hall and instructed us on the voting process (she won first place in her division!). It was amusing watching our men become acquainted with the art and tradition of quilting. Who know they would be so taken with quilts. That evening back at our base, we enjoyed a great barbecue and amazing star gazing that us city folk rarely get to enjoy.

Day 3 we were on the lake with a houseboat and a ski boat. I had visions of water skiing (which I have not done in 20 plus years) but after an unsuccessful attempt to ride a banana (long water toy shaped like a banana) behind the boat, I decided against it. I am a little disappointed with myself that I chickened out on the skiing, but at least I don’t have any broken bones or strained muscles. Instead we floated, swam, ate, cruised around the lake, fished, ate, visited, and then ate a little more. A perfect summer day of relaxation.

Day 4 brings our reunion to an end. What a special weekend for siblings who wouldn’t see each other very often otherwise. A time to catch up, strengthen bonds, and laugh together reminiscing about our shared past. As we say goodbye, planning for next year, there is an occasional tear as we hug and go our separate ways. 

1 comment: